torsdag 9. april 2009

Mona Lisa Ristorante Bar: cafe Beirut



Bra: lovely mezze, huge selection, authentic
Dårlig: well hidden
Av: Jeff

If you’re looking for an authentic taste of the Mediterranean then look no further. After wondering around Oslo enjoying the sites I noticed the sign leading downstairs. I've been really hungry for good Mediterranean food since I got here but to be honest most of the restaurants food here is overpriced, not authentic and smothered in olive oil. I wondered downstairs to check out the menu just in case and was pleasantly surprised.


The interior is very clean and modern looking. Lots of white leather seating and a modern design combined with low lighting and old Arabic treasures and charm. It really reminded me of my time back in Dubai.


The menu looked good so we decided to give it a try. I ordered the "Royal" set menu and my friend tried the "Beyrout". The staff are really friendly and willing to help those who aren't too familiar with Middle Eastern cuisine, in fact our waiter took great pride in describing all the different dishes we were about to try. We started with a selection of mezze to share. It was all the classics: Falafel (The best ever!), Baba Ganouch, Humus, Taziki, Dolma, Sweet and spicy pepper spread and fava beans with cumin and lemon. I wish I tried the tabbouleh, the table next to us had it and it looked really good. All the dishes were fresh, vibrant, and served with warm pita bread....fantastic. Next I had a fusion style shrimp cocktail. They used the small Norwegian prawn and combined it with the sweet and spicy pepper spread. A little touch of lemon really made it pop. They sure pilled on the shrimp! If you’re a big eater you will love the Royal!


The lemon sorbet with vodka was a refreshing and novel way to clear my palate before the next course. I had the steak stuffed with mushrooms, peas and cheese with a cream sauce and my friend had three kabobs (still on the skewer, nice presentation) of Lamb, chicken and kofta. We both had a rice thimble and a colorful vegetable medley as part of the plating. Everything was tender, juicy and just what I was looking for. I'm also pleased to say that the timing was perfect between courses. We then proceeded on to the desert which was warm blackberries with vanilla ice-cream. It was absolutely decadent. The evening was then rounded off with a hot cup of coffee and touch of cognac. Ahhh! What a meal!


This place is great for a big sit down dinner but I can really see it also as a place for a dinner party. If you like to share food like I do then try the 12 mezze selection, it’s a great way to try all the different choices and have fun. I will certainly be returning and I will be trying the Baklava…my sweet tooth demands it.

Les flere anmeldelser av Mona Lisa Ristorante Bar her!

Ingen kommentarer: